How it looks
Ugly dilated Tortuous veins
- Ugly looking veins which are dilated due to rise in venous pressures.
- Pain in the legs progressively increases towards the evening due to prolonged standing. There is very little pain in the mornings.
- Heaviness of the legs is common complaint and it is due to the stagnation and pooling of the blood along with the mild oedema.
- Prominent blue capillaries around the ankle due to increased venous pressure and is an early sign of venous hypertension.
- Discolouration around the ankle with darkening of the skin called stasis dermatitis.
- Lipodermatosclerosis which is hardening of the skin around the ankle and is due to prolonged venous pressure.
- Venous ulcer depicts late stage of this medical condition where the skin finally breaks down at the ankle.
- Sudden bleeding is generally massive with patient coming to the casualty. It is once again a result of the high pressure in the varicose veins.
- Cramps when making a sudden move like standing up.
- Minor injuries bleed more or take time to heal.
- Restless leg syndrome is common with varicose veins.